This Privacy Notice explains how Hoggs of Fife (“We”) collect the types of personal data from you when you interact with us. It also explains how we’ll store and handle that data, and keep it safe.
Hoggs of Fife is made up of the following:
Hoggs of Fife Limited – is the parent company of both the trade division, Hoggs of Fife and the retail division Fife Country.
We are committed to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the EU General Data Protection Regulation. Our registration with the Information Commissioner’s Office can be found at: https://ico.org.uk/ESDWebPages/Entry/Z7573070
We want you to be fully informed about your rights, and how Hoggs of Fife use your data, how it is stored and how we use data to enable us to offer you relevant and targeted offers.
From 25th May 2018 the EU General Data Protection Regulation takes the place of the Data Protection Act 1998 and this gives you new rights with regard to the privacy of your personal data.
Hoggs of Fife uses your personal data to:
- Fulfil orders or catalogue requests and provide goods and services to you
- Make a tailored website available to you
- Manage any account(s) that you hold with us
- Contact you electronically or by post about promotional offers and products and services which we think may interest you (only if you have already consented to this)
- For market research purposes - to better understand your needs
- For crime and fraud prevention, detection and related purposes
- Where we have a legal right or duty to use or disclose your information (for example in relation to an investigation by a public authority or in a legal dispute)
What personal data do we collect?
Hoggs of Fife may collect the following information about you:
- Your name, or business name, and gender
- Your contact details: postal address including billing and delivery addresses, telephone numbers (including mobile numbers) and e-mail address
- Transactions and requests made by you Information supplied by you when filling in forms on our website, by post, by telephone via our call centre or in our retail shops
- Your on-line browsing activities on Fife Country and Hoggs of Fife websites
- Your communication and marketing preferences
- Details of your visits to our websites including but not limited to location, traffic data, the date and time you visit the Site, the specific pages you visit on the Site, session identifiers assigned to your visit and the address of the website you visited before coming to this Site - all of which are non-personally identifiable information. We typically use such passively collected information for a variety of purposes, such as to administer the Site, customise the Site to your preferences, and compile aggregated statistics for marketing and research purposes
- ‘Cookies’ are small text files that store information about your interactions with a particular website, either temporarily (known as a "temporary" or "session" cookie, and deleted once you close your browser window) or more permanently on the hard drive of your computer (known as a "permanent" or "persistent cookie"). Cookies can make it easier to use a website by allowing servers to access certain information quickly. Session cookies can be used to help a user's browser navigate a website more smoothly. Persistent cookies can be used to customise a website for a user, such as by storing passwords, preferences, and registration and account information so that users do not have to re-enter them each time they visit a website This Site uses both session/temporary cookies and persistent cookies to store information that allows us to serve you better. To make the Site easier to use, we combine information collected via cookies with personally identifiable information. Please understand that if you set up your browser to disallow cookies, you might not be able to access important functions or areas of the Site.
- Our Websites may offer tests, quizzes, search functions, calculators, or conversion tools that help you learn more about various topics. We use the information you input while using these functions to provide you with immediate feedback
- Information you offer when you report a problem with the website or social media platforms
- If you contact us by phone the call may be recorded and kept for staff training, order servicing and fraud prevention
- Personal details such as clothing or footwear size which enables us to offer similar items that may be of interest to you, or respond to a request from you for size/fitting advice
- Any other correspondence and communications with Hoggs of Fife/Fife Country
- Other publicly available personal data, including any which you have shared via a public platform (such as a Twitter feed or public Facebook page)
- Our websites are not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children
- There may be instances when we need to collect additional data, for example if you set up an on-line account with GK Wear or Hoggs of Fife. We may also collect personal data from third parties who have your consent to pass your details to us, or from publicly available sources
- To tailor our website to you, we collect technical information about your internet connection and browser, as well as the country and telephone code where your computer is located, the search terms used and the web pages clicked on during your visit. If you do not complete an order but enter your details on the checkout page we may contact you, for example to seek feedback on ways in which our website could be improved
The legal bases we rely on for data processing
The data protection law sets out a number of reasons for the collection and processing of customers personal data and we collect and use customers’ personal data because it is necessary for the legitimate interests of Hogg of Fife, in achieving the following objectives:
- To process orders and supply goods and services to our customers
- To carry out marketing activity including promoting and advertising our products and services and send you relevant offers
- To aggregate shopping and purchase history of groups of customers for market research, identifying trends in order to send relevant and tailored communications and to help us to develop relevant new products
- To process data to fulfil our legal obligations to customers and employees
- To enable us to comply with our legal obligations
In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent for example when you tick a box to receive email newsletters or information from other companies we think may be of interest to you.
There may be times when we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations for example passing on your address to our delivery partners in order to send you your order.
How we store and protect your data
- Hoggs of Fife is committed to keeping your personal data safe and secure and all your personal data is stored securely and may only be accessed by employees who have a legitimate business need to access your information.
- We use a variety of technological, administrative and physical safeguarding measures to keep your data safe including data encryption, granular permissions and physical access restrictions.
- Although we take steps to protect personally identifiable information you provide via this Site from loss, misuse, or unauthorised alteration, this and any web site is dependent upon mechanical and technological processes that are not 100% secure or error-free. Therefore, while we make conscientious and reasonable efforts to prevent compromise of our policy, we do not, and cannot, guarantee the security or accuracy of the information we collect via this Site, and you acknowledge that you are assuming the risk in transmitting any information to us.
- The GK Wear website uses the Paypoint payment gateway service to process credit and debit card transactions. For more information regarding security, visit the SecPay website at https://www.paypoint.com/en-gb/retailer/privacy-statement .
- All areas of the website including transactional are secured using ‘https’ technology.
- Access to your personal data is password-protected, and sensitive data (such as payment card information) is dealt with on a third party server and secured by SSL encryption. We do not hold any complete card numbers either on our website or database.
- We regularly monitor our system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks.
What you can do to help protect your data
- Hoggs of Fife will not ask you to send any sensitive personal information either by email, text, live chat or website. This includes asking for credit card details via email.
- Keep your account passwords private and do not share with anyone.
- When using a public computer always log out and close the browser at the end of your session.
- Frequently change your password and avoid using the same passwords across different accounts.
When do we collect your personal data?
- When you visit any of our websites, contact us by telephone, post, or email
- When you create an account with us. Accounts are used within Hoggs of Fife trade business
- When you leave a review online or by post, email or phone about our products and services
- When you’ve given a third party permission to share with us the information they hold about you
- When our Finance partners - such as Paypoint and Lloyd Bank - share information with us about the product you have purchased
- When you use our shops some of which may have CCTV systems in operation to ensure the security of both customers and staff. These systems may record your car registration or your image during your visit
How and why do we use your personal data?
We use the information we hold about you to ensure that we offer you the best customer experience possible, offering you relevant products, promotions and services including:
- Enabling us to fulfil our obligation to you when you place an order, respond to your queries, process refunds or deal with requests
- To ensure that our website is tailored to your interest, computer and browser requirements and that online orders and requests are fulfilled. Monitoring your browsing activity helps us to identify and rectify any problems with our website and protects the security and integrity of our websites. Monitoring IP addresses and email addresses also allows us to identify any possible fraudulent activity attempts
- Either covered by Legitimate Interest or where you have given your Consent, we will use your personal data, preferences and details of your transactions to keep you informed by email, web, telephone about relevant products, offers and promotions. You are free to opt out of receiving communications from us at any time just contact our Data Protection Officer on 01334 653733
- You can opt out of email marketing by clicking the unsubscribe button on the newsletter or contacting us by email email@example.com or phone 01334 653733
- If you do not wish to receive marketing materials including our catalogues then you can write, email or phone us.
- If you have previously agreed to receive information from specially chosen third parties you can change your mind at any time by writing, emailing or phoning.
- For trade customers when setting up an account you are expressly agreeing that we may use personal information provided by you in order to conduct appropriate credit and anti-fraud checks. This information may be kept by the appropriate agency.
- We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting, if you have given us permission
- We work with data pool companies such as Transactis, Experian and Epsilon Abacus (registered as Epsilon International UK Ltd.) They collect data from a variety of retailers e.ge clothing, footwear, food & wine, travel, gardening, gadgets & entertainment, health & beauty, household goods, and home interiors categories. They share information on what their customers buy. The data pool companies analyse this pooled information, to understand consumer's wider buying patterns. From this information, retailers can tailor their communications, sending people suitable offers that should be of interest to them, based on what they like to buy.
How long will we keep your personal data?
Due to the long history of the company and the long life of some of our products that we offer, we will hold you details until you ask us not to.
Who do we share your personal data with?
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties:
- Courier companies
- IT companies who support our website and business systems
- Google/Facebook to show relevant products that may interest you while browsing the internet
- Mailchimp who handle our email marketing database
We have data processing agreements with all third party companies and only provide information to them that allows them to perform their service. With the exception of our website server and data pooling companies all the information is deleted as soon as the specific service has been carried out.
Although not exhaustive we currently use the following companies who will process your personal data as part of their contracts with us
- Payment Processing Companies to allow us to securely take you order over the website
- DPD/Parcelforce/DHL for parcel delivery
- Credit agencies
For more information please contact the Data Protection Officer on DPO@hoggs.co.uk
Right to Request/Right of Access:
You are entitled to access all the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases although if the request is deemed to be excessive we are permitted to charge a reasonable fee. To ask for this information please contact the Data Protection Officer at DPO@hoggs.co.uk. If for any reason we choose not to action this request we shall let you know the reasons why.
Right to Rectification
If any information we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete you have the right to have it rectified. We will also inform any third parties so that they can update your details. Please contact the Data Protection Officer at DPO@hoggs.co.uk
Right to Withdraw Consent
You can change your consent at any time. If you have previously given consent you can later change your mind and withdraw that consent. Please contact the Data Protection Officer at DPO@hoggs.co.uk
Right to Erasure
You have the right to request that we delete the personal information that we hold about you. Some of this information may be anonymised, rather than deleted, to ensure that we do not contact you again in the future through third party lists. This right does not apply if we are complying with a legal obligation or where we are exercising the right of freedom of expression and information.
Please contact the Data Protection Officer at DPO@hoggs.co.uk
The Right to Restrict Processing
You can request that we restrict the processing of your information, for example if you believe the information we hold is inaccurate, we can suspend processing until we have investigated or rectified, or where you request restriction instead of deletion Please contact the Data Protection Officer at DPO@hoggs.co.uk
Right to Data Portability
We can supply your information in a portable format to allow you to take it to another organisation. Please contact the Data Protection Officer at DPO@hoggs.co.uk
To ensure that you receive relevant and targeted communications we use data profiling. You have a right not to be subject to data profiling but if you chose to exercise that right we will no longer be able to send offers from us as our mailing list is based on our customers’ purchase history.
Please contact the Data Protection Officer at DPO@hoggs.co.uk
You have the right to withdraw or amend you consent to receiving direct marketing or email communications through all channels or through selected channels. If you do this then we will not be able to send you news of new products or offers. Please note that there may be a time delay once you have withdrawn you consent and you may receive communications that are too late to stop.
Please contact the Data Protection Officer at DPO@hoggs.co.uk
Proof of Identity
Any requests that you make will need to be verified by your proof of identity.
There may be times where we need to share you information with other agencies for the purposes of fraud prevention or credit risk reduction. Where fraud is suspected we may share this information with law enforcement agencies.
In the very unlikely event that your information has been compromised we will notify both the ICO and you.
Complaints and Contacting the Regulator
Any complaints regarding data protection should be emailed to our Data Protection Officer at DPO@hoggs.co.uk. If you feel that this has not been handled fairly or correctly then you have the right to put your complaint to the ICO. You can contact them by calling 0303 123 1113. Or go online to www.ico.org.uk/concerns (please note we can't be responsible for the content of external websites). If you are based outside the UK, you have the right to lodge your complaint with the relevant data protection regulator in your country of residence.
By placing an order or request with us you are expressly consenting to the processing of your data to fulfil your request. You still have the right to choose how you receive communications from us and we will of course respect your request.
If you have any questions please contact the Data Protection Officer at DPO@hoggs.co.uk
Updated May 2018